Ab Ripper X
I LOVE Ab Ripper X! This 15 minute P90X core/ab workout really pushes me, and I envision a six-pack to keep me going strong. Normally, Ab Ripper X is done after an intense hour-long P90X workout, so you’re already tired when you get to it. I think that’s where the magic happens. You need to mentally and physically push your body to make it through. If you can keep up, you are doing 349 ab exercises every time you push play. It’s an amazing accomplishment!
Ab Ripper X Exercises (25 reps each)
1) In & Out
2) Bicycle (forward motion)
3) Reverse Bicycle (reverse motion)
4) Crunchy Frog
5) Cross-Leg/Wide Leg Sit-up
6) Fifer Scissor
7) Hip Rock and Raise
8 ) Pulse-Up
9) V-Up/Roll-Up Combo
10-11) Oblique V-Up (25 each side, right and left)
12) Leg Climb
13) Mason Twist (50 reps)
When I first started P90X, I couldn’t make it through every set without stopping. That changed over time, and now I’m doing advanced moves on many of the exercises all the way through! The beauty of P90X is that there are always options. If I’m struggling one day, I’ll use my hands for support on the In & Outs, for example. What’s important is that you keep good form while getting through as many reps as possible. If you find yourself struggling to get through the sets, do the basic version of each exercise – that is still really tough! Even when you can get through every exercises for a total of 349 reps, I recommend perfecting your form before moving on to the advanced options (hands in the air, crossed legs instead of wide legs, etc.) If I notice my form giving out on me, I will switch back to the basic version.
Oblique V-Ups are by far the hardest moves for me. I have not fully perfected my form yet on these yet, but I am happy to report that I can do 25 reps on each side! Below is a video of me working hard. Ideally, I’d be making contact with my legs, but I’m not quite there yet.
A few tips for getting through Ab Ripper X:
1) Make a playlist! Mine is perfectly timed with the DVD from beginning to end, and I like having the routine of songs to match the exercises. “Hallelujah” comes on right after I finish my last exercise, just in time for the cool down and stretching.
song #1: “Run This Town” by Jay-Z
song #2 “260” by Ghostface Killah
song #3 “Cinderella Man” by Eminem
song #4 “When Love Takes Over” by David Guetta
song #5 “Hallelujah” by Jeff Buckley
2) Invest in something thicker than a yoga mat! I bruise when I do these exercises on top of one or two yoga mats because I have a hardwood floor. My boyfriend bought a cushy pad from Target for $30 (embark Premium Exercise Mat), and I followed suit. No more bruising for me. At a minimum, try a small pillow under your lower back during the Pulse-Ups.
3) Do your best, and forget the rest! That is one of my favorite Tony Horton sayings because it is so true. Don’t skip ab ripper because you’re feeling too tired, can’t make time for it, or if you’re feeling discouraged. Simply show up and do the best you can. Success and more reps will come with time – I promise!