My Top 5 Ironman Fears
Might as well get them off my chest now while the race is still 6 weeks away. Here are my top 5 fears for Ironman Coeur d’Alene – my first Ironman!
Asia’s Top 5 Ironman Fears
1. I won’t make the bike cutoff because it’s so hilly, and I’m a slow swimmer. (10:30 hours swim + bike cutoff.)
2. I will cramp up during the swim and/or get hypothermia if the lake is too cold. (It was rumoured to be 51 degrees one year.)
3. I will get a flat tire on the bike course. (I’ve never changed one on my own.)
4. I will have a weird bike problem that I cannot fix. (I’m not a bike mechanic.)
5. I will have stomach problems. (Diarrhea, and/or puking.)
What will I do to alleviate these fears?
1. Bike faster and incorporate speed work during my final long rides.
2. Continue to practice open water swimming, and drink pickle juice before the swim to prevent my cramping.
3. Practice changing my tires (front AND back).
5. Continue to practice my race day nutrition and hydration. Worst case scenario, I’ll just bike/run through the pain!
I’m typically a very optimistic person, but everyone has their inner doubts and fears. Hopefully if I can come to terms with them, I will be a stronger athlete on race day!